Ductile iron pipe has earned the SMaRT Sustainable Product Certification, an independent rating system for the sustainability of a product throughout its life cycle, the Ductile Iron Pipe Research Association (DIPRA) announced recently. Ductile iron pipe is only the second product in the buried infrastructure industry to earn this certification.
The Institute for Market Transformation to Sustainability categorized ductile iron pipe with its Gold rating in:
• Safe for public health and environment
• Renewable energy and energy reduction
• Bio-based or recycled materials
• Facility or company requirements
• Reclamation, sustainable reuse and end of life management
• Innovation in manufacturing
Made from recycled scrap materials, with up to 95 percent recycled content, ductile iron is durable and dependable and it is designed to last up to a century or more.