The American Water Works Association has tracked water industry issues and trends since its founding in 1881.
That tradition continues through the annual State of the Water Industry (SOTWI) survey, which
• Identifies and tracks significant challenges the water industry faces;
• Provides data and analyses to support water professionals as they develop strategies to address current issues;
• Discovers potential problems or concerns on the water industry’s horizon; and
• Informs decision makers and the public of the challenges the industry faces.
The results demonstrate the water sector has shifted its focus from economic recovery to familiar issues that have engaged water professionals for years.
The report highlights the following top five water industry issues identified for 2014:
1. State of water and sewer infrastructure
2. Long-term water supply availability
3. Financing for capital improvements
4. Public understanding of the value of water resources
5. Public understanding of the value of water systems and services
Other important concerns highlighted in the report include groundwater management and overuse, drought response and water shortages, and watershed protection. Access the full report for further details on these and other issues the water community faces.